And the food choices are thin.
And you’ve used this as a convenient excuse to avoid meal planning or grocery-list making. Because you’re just completely unmotivated.
And so you wait until the absolute last minute to figure out what to make for dinner.
The fortunes are smiling upon you, though, because you have this quick and easy recipe in your “want to try” list and you happen to have all of the ingredients. Yay.
You hope that everyone will like it, but given the circumstances, you’re past caring. You just want to put this one in the rear-view mirror.
And that’s when you make Cheeseburger Macaroni for dinner.
- 1 lb ground meat (I used turkey)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 c chicken or beef broth
- 1 c water
- ¾ c ketchup
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2½ c elbow noodles
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 c milk
- 2 c medium Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown the ground meat in a large skillet.
- Add onion, broth, water and ketchup.
- Bring to boil.
- Add noodles and cover.
- Cook 10 minutes or until noodles are done.
- While noodles are cooking, make the cheese sauce. Melt butter in medium saucepan.
- Whisk in flour (making a roux) and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add milk, a bit at a time, whisking until smooth after each addition.
- Simmer until thick. Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour cheese mixture into noodle mixture and combine.
- If it's not thick enough, you can let it simmer. Just keep in mind that the noodles will continue to cook.
The Man was ecstatic. The Bread Guy said he liked it, but I wasn’t really convinced. Mr. Selective refused to eat it, mainly because someone announced the presence of onion and that was enough for him. Big Britches was initially swayed by the onion but when faced with the prospect of starvation, decided to try it. He said he liked it, but didn’t eat much.
I was just glad it was over.
**Footnote: I forgot to snap a picture before I had to run out the door to take The Bread Guy to karate. I took one of the last little bit of leftovers just before The Man scarfed up the last few bites. I can barely even bring myself to include it in the post. I promise this is so much tastier than the picture indicates. And if you haven’t read my personal photo disclaimer, you should probably do that now.